Assure or Ensure?
Do you know whether to choose assure or ensure? Here we discuss the key difference.
Assure is a verb that means to give someone confidence or make them feel certain. It is used when someone guarantees or promises something to another person.
Examples of Assure
- I assure you (i.e. promise you) that everything will be fine.
- The doctor assured me that the treatment would be effective.
- He assured his parents that he would study hard.
- The company assured its customers of a full refund.
- She assured him that she would be on time.
Ensure is also a verb that means to make certain or guarantee something. It is used to express the action taken to ensure that something happens or to prevent something undesirable.
Examples of Ensure
- Please ensure (i.e. make certain) that all the doors are locked.
- The safety measures are in place to ensure a secure environment.
- We need to ensure that the project is completed on time.
- The insurance policy ensures financial protection.
- The regulations ensure fair competition.
Any questions or comments about the grammar discussed on this page?
Post your comment here.